We’ve been doing some great progress on our indoor renovations, first the bathroom done and then the first of three bedrooms. With the good spring and summer weather coming on though, now is the time for our outdoor projects and garden tasks to get done!
We started this back in February, we’ve been so busy between the pregnancy / our baby’s birth, getting the garden started, and starting the chicken coop (let alone all the everyday tasks and work days!) I haven’t had much of a chance to share what we’ve done; So this is only the beginning with more posts to come.
First on the list has been to start on our garden rows; tilling, weeding, and building up the rows all from scratch converting a grassy patch into a beautiful abundant (hopefully!) vegetable garden. We have a few starter rows set up and our field tilled and ready for other rows to be put on, though we think we’ve let it sit barren for too long and we’ll most likely be re-weeding / turning the remaining area all over again. Having tilled in February and it now being the beginning of June (soon to be hubby’s birthday), you can see why that is.
Freshly Tilled just in time!
Opa helping with the tilling
Oma helping with the rows
First rows finished and fenced from the free-ranging chickens!
With the garden being started this left the chickens a problem, especially being free-ranging our yard they were especially attracted to our newly made garden rows and plants that were sprouting and the fresh soil hoping for some bugs.
Since then we’ve fenced them into a large area instead of having it around our first rows we started. Of course with chickens you get the mischievous ones, and we’ve had some escape artist problems with Pickles and Casper almost doing it daily.
We finally had been able to figure out where they were escaping from and remedied the problem. We had to put additional barrier above the wire fence with lines of fishing line, as well as put rebar staked in at certain areas of the fence where they were sneaking underneath. We also clipped Pickles and Casper’s wings (only one) to help discourage them from flapping their way over, although easier said than done with Casper (She still managed to make it over once, luckily wasn’t too hard to get her back in; Pickles is no problem, she’s far to heavy to flap over!!)
Finding out how they did it was a frustrating one I have to admit, having a 6 week old baby it was near impossible to keep a full eye on them to see if I could sneak a glance at how they are getting out, I was far too occupied and with Tim at work that left no back up to keep watch! We did finally figure it out, though it was a little tough to accept the fact that these two chickens were not only outsmarting us but baffling us all the same. Pretty impressive I suppose…
So with the pretties all penned up, we’ve started adding more rows now to the garden which has been pretty exciting! Having it be beginning of June, we are quite late with a few things for planting but hopefully the summer will be a bit of a longer one to help extend the growing season and the harvest period. We shall see!
For now we’ll be content knowing that we’ve got some good potential for some lovely nutritious fresh food and the beginnings of building a strong foundation with our soil.
To the new relationship with the ground we walk on, here’s to new adventures too!
Perhaps with the nicer weather our cat, Oblivion, with get less lazy and join us for some quality outdoor time 😉